THIS ARTICLE IS COPYRIGHTED AND SOLE PROPERTY OF
REDWOOD KREST K9 CENTER, LLC. CONTENT MAY NOT BE COPIED, REPRODUCED,
TRANSMITTED, DISTRIBUTED, DOWNLOADED OR TRANSFERRED IN ANY FORM OR BY
Buying a Puppy
When it comes to buying a purebred Rottweiler, there are a number of factors you should take into consideration. It is important to understand that these factors should be deliberated over with a measure of subjective & objective reasoning. We propose, that in a free-market society, the law of supply & demand will always prevail. Additionally, in any niche market, price-points are routinely based upon “what the market will bear.” Thus, it is our contention that the majority of Rottweiler breeders/kennels base their prices upon what their clients are will to pay, and by what their competition (other breeders) is doing. It’s that simple...
The price of our puppies is based upon, but not limited to, the following criteria of our breeding stock (sire & dam) and breeding program:
- pedigrees (bloodlines)
- congenital health conditions
- conformation “type” (based upon an accepted “standard”)
- temperament (behavior)
- drive (prey & protection)
- accomplishments/titles & awards in different venues (working trials, conformation exhibitions)
However, what you may not know is that the cost of a puppy is also strongly based upon many, if not all, of the following:
- costs associated with the investment in the breeding stock
- veterinary (health exams, lab work, vaccinations, preventative medications, rehab)
- health clearances (hips, elbows, heart, eyes)
- travel & shipping (importing of dogs from foreign countries)
- nutrition (food, supplements)
- marketing, advertising, public relations
- training & socialization
- club affiliations
- entry fees for working & conformation trials
- popularity or perceived “prestige” of the kennel and/or breeding stock
- demand of the progeny from one or both parents
Please understand that all of the aforementioned factors have merit in terms of how the price of a puppy may be derived. However, as you may have already surmised, some of these variables are subjective and not easily quantified. Thus, we will attempt to give you a general “rule of thumb” for understanding why there tends to be a significant variance in pricing from kennel to kennel.
The majority of dog breeders want & expect to make a profit from the puppies they sell, or at the very least, expect that the sale of their puppies will fully cover the expenses associated in whelping/producing them. Of course, there are always exceptions! We know first hand, a few breeders that are “independently wealthy”, and breed Rottweilers “for fun”. The thousands of dollars spent to produce even one litter is not a burden to these “1%ers”, and they have the very rare luxury of breeding puppies for the pure “joy” of it. Regardless of what others claim, no breeder breeds to lose money!
Breeders can likely be “rated” in many ways. It seems logical that the “lesser” rated a breeders is, the less a breeder invests in their dogs & breeding program. Conversely, the higher a breeder is rated, the more likely they are investing a great deal of time & capital into their respective breeding program. Of course, no independent organization, group, or certifying body exists in the “dog breeding industry” to objectively & ethically rate dog breeders/kennels. However, many well respected breed clubs/organizations have implemented rules & guidelines for their members to conduct their breeding programs in accordance with. Adhering to these general guidelines is what many breeders refer to as being a “code of ethics” breeder.
Having said that, we’d like to share just some of what we routinely invest into our dogs here at Redwood Krest Rottweilers & K-9 Training Center:
- We feed some of the most nutritionally advanced kibble & RAW foods available. Both RedPaw and Columbia River Naturals have enabled us to offer our dogs the most complete nutritional regimen possible. This world-class nutrition program has played a huge role in contributing to our winning virtually every major championship! If you’ve ever had a chance to see a Redwood Krest dog that has been cared for and trained at our kennel, you will easily notice that they are always extremely fit & heavily muscled. Nutrition truly is the building block of elite health & fitness.
- Proper supplementation is a vital component in the nutritional program of any athlete. We feed MVP K9 Supplements and Ester C (calcium ascorbate) to all of our dogs-athletes. Additionally, our pregnant females get the aforementioned supplements in addition to Berte’s Immune Blend. When we wean our puppies, they get the same supplements as their mother did during her pregnancy, plus we add appropriate amounts of MVP Weight Gainer.
- When it comes to health care, we are privileged to work with one of the most gifted vets practicing veterinary medicine on the west coast. We have established an outstanding working relationship with her, and are fortunate to be able to call upon her & her staff - 24/7, if the need should ever arise. If we detect a potential health issue, we never hesitate to bring our dogs into her state of the art vet hospital, or even have her make a “house call”.
- Relationships... After living in Europe for 29 years, Joeri has established irreplaceable alliances with some of the most influential people (i.e. kennels) in our breed in Germany & Belgium. When a unique dog comes available for sale, we are made aware of it almost immediately. As a result of our coveted & nurtured relationships, in conjunction with our every effort to consistently make correct business dealings, many of the top European breeders are eager to do business with us. Thus, we in turn are able to import premium quality breeding stock, show/working prospects, and fully titled/accomplished adult dogs.
- When it comes to the dogs; our emphasis is always on sound & solid temperament, structure, health and working ability. We choose dogs exclusively from bloodlines that have proven to be top show/working/family companions on a consistent basis. Countless hours are spent in the office, researching & planning our litters. Joeri temperament & instinct tests all of our puppies, and hand-selects each dog for their future owner. The time invested in our breeding & training programs is beyond calculating. We often plan many of our litters here at Redwood Krest years in advance! Our desire to excel as one of the top Rottweiler breeding kennels in the world is ineffable. We strive to exceed our clients & our own expectations every year. It is our most sincere & deepest hope that our body of work speaks for itself.
- We screen for a number of well-known congenital health problems, and certify our breeding dogs to the standard held by most reputable breed clubs. Our dogs are screened & certified for the following: Hip & Elbow Dysplasia, Cardiac (heart), and Eyes. These certifications do not account for many environmental related health problems, but give us solid platform from which to evaluate the overall health of our animals.
- Humbly stated, Joeri is an accomplished dog trainer & handler. He is available by appointment to consult with our clients when they have an issue or question regarding their dog(s). We believe our clients have a unique luxury in having unlimited access to Joeri for training information. Our clients do not incur a fee of any kind to receive information/advice from Joeri. This service is quite unique, in that most professional trainers/handlers charge hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars to provide consulting services. Additionally, advanced training is offered at our main campus in Battle Ground, Washington. This service is not available to the general public; only to Redwood Krest clients. Moreover, we will show any dog we’ve bred, at a show we’re attending, at no charge to our client(s). In an effort to maintain & bolster our existing client relationships, we are always trying to come up with value-added service propositions. Client attrition is the worst thing that can happen to a kennel business, and we know our business is only healthy if our dogs are healthy & our client relationships are healthy.
Now that you have a clearer picture of how & why our kennel may be “rated”differently from other kennels/breeders, perhaps you can understand why we may charge more for our puppies & dogs. We invest a substantial amount of time and money into our kennel business. Moreover, we believe that the dogs we sell are of the highest breed-caliber, and given our professional & technical background, along with the numerous services we provide; we truly believe our kennel is in a class of its own. As they say; premium product, premium price...
If you keep the variances among breeding kennels in mind, you will likely be less surprised when you discover that some breeders may charge as little as US $500 for a puppy, while others receive as much as US $5,000 for a single puppy! Moreover, if a given litter is in high demand, then you can definitely expect the price for their progeny to be at the top of the market pricing scale; and even more likely to be unavailable for purchase, since long waiting lists are the norm for litters of this caliber.
At this point in our treatise, we must digress. Regardless of where & from whom you purchase your next Rottweiler puppy, there are NO GUARANTEES! No breeder can promise that your puppy will be a future champion in conformation or on the working field, free from temperament (behavior) issues, or free from congenital health issues. Genetics are sort of like a statistical-guessing game; not absolute. When it comes to dogs, most Champions are made, not born.
There is much to be said for doing your homework and betting on the statistically safe choice. However, with live animals there can be no guarantee or promise that your puppy won’t fall short of your expectations. Professional training can increase your chances of a well behaved and socialized dog. Professional handling can significantly increase your chances of performing well in a competitive venue. Finally, investing in a puppy from a highly respected breeding program will significantly increase your odds of receiving a healthy, clear minded, physically “correct” Rottweiler puppy.
Copyright and Trademark Notice
All material on this Website, including design, text, images, logos and
sounds, are owned by Redwood Krest K9 Center, LLC, either through
copyright or trademark, unless otherwise indicated. All rights are
reserved by Redwood Krest K9 Center, LLC. Content may not be copied,
reproduced, transmitted, distributed, downloaded or transferred in any
form or by any means without Redwood Krest’s prior written consent, and
with express attribution to Redwood Krest K9 Center, LLC. Copyright
infringement is a violation of federal law subject to criminal and civil
penalties. (For permission to reprint, please contact Redwood Krest K9
Center, LLC via email at